Background
You Me At Six are a rock band from Surrey, England that formed in 2004. They have five members: Josh Franceschi, Max Helyer,
Chris Miler, Matt Barnes, and Dan Flint. The band uses the
stereotypical instruments for their genre, drums, bass and various
guitars. The band became recognizable from the success of their debut album, ‘Take Off Your Colours’
which included the singles ‘Finders Keepers’, ‘Save It For The
Bedroom’, and ‘Kiss And Tell’, two of which made it into the UK singles
charts. The groups main inspiration and influence include American rock
bands such as Blink – 182, Incubus and Thrice. They have also been
associated with Paramore, Kids in Glass Houses, Bring Me The Horizon, Panic! At the Disco, and All Time Low.
‘Crash’ Concept and Ideas
‘Crash’ is a song from the album ‘Sinners Never Sleep’ by You Me At Six. I chose this song because it builds up quite effectively
into its expected style, the slow start allows the story to be told at
its own pace. The story in question is that of a girl that the singer
had been with since they were both quite young, unfortunately they broke
up years later, but he always thought that she was the only girl he
really loved, even when with other girls.
In my video I plan to show flashbacks as the lyrics explain the way
their relationship was. At the end I’m going to loop it back to how it
started, drawing inspiration from the YellowCard music video – Ocean Avenues.
Visual Narrative.
Throughout my video it will show the lead singers ex-girlfriend in an art classroom painting. This will seem to
be in the present day, although small things in the background will
change to hint that it's actually the singer just imagining it, slowly
forgetting how it actually was. As he sings, the girls will never look
at him, because he is looking back to before they broke up, so he's not
there in her eyes. It is only as he tries to take hold of her that the
scene goes back to when they first fought and broke up, and she reacts
to him. Then it is no longer the present, but replays how it has already
happened and what he was singing about in the first place, as they
fought.
Locations.
The
Flash Backs - A filed off the edge of Summer hill, probably to be
filmed on a clear day if possible, as there is one shot where both the
boy and girl are going to be silhouetted against the sunlight. Around
the edges there is long grass which is also needed as there is another
shot of there feet walking through that I have planned.
The
Art Classroom - A classroom from Hartlepool sixth from college, which
needs a sink at one side, so that the girl can walk back and forth
across the room as needed for certain shots. Small things will be
continuously changing on the background to show the passing of time and
how it's not really happening accurately, but just all inside the
singers head.
The
Streets - When the singer is walking down the streets singing it'll be
the only certain time that he is in the present. For this I want people
to be around him, as in all the other shots it's just him and the girl,
making it hard to certify
when it was happening. This part will be shot in various laces around
the centre of town at night, so that there will be lots of lights on
and it will be busy enough for him to walk past and amongst people.
Clothes and costume.
For
both the singer and the girl he is singing about they need to be
dressed casually. When shooting the flashback scenes they need to be
wearing coats/jackets as it will be filmed autumn and the trees in the
background will be bare to show this. They should also be wearing
sensible shoes as the ground is uneven and muddy in these areas and
there will be some close up shots on there feet as they are stood and
walking.
For the art classroom scenes they will need to be dressed casually again, although without the coats/jackets.
The girls hair will be a different colour to show the passing of time
and to make it harder for the audience to see that it's the same girl at
first.
Lighting.
For
the flashback scenes I want to use just the sun and natural lighting to
give the scene a dreamy kind of effect as the singer thinks back on it.
For the classroom scenes I want to use just the ceiling lights to show
how cold that scene was in
his memory. For the streets part I want to have a warm light shone onto
his face as he walks so that the focus will stay on him even when
amongst other people, and also so that the focus on him won't get lost
as it will be shot at night with light from other buildings being on
around him.
Camera Shots.
I'm
going to attempt to use a large array of camera shot, including long,
sweeping shots and pans with the help of the track and dolly. Close up
shots of feet will also be incorporated as I feel it will provide a good
way to keep animosity for a time and also bring to light the beat of
the song. I will also use the camera shots to help immediately highlight
who's point of view the narrative is being told from.
Editing.
I'm
feel that the narrative of my music video will rely heavily on the
editing techniques, especially when trying to portray how the singer is
only there in his mind as it is a flash back, and wont be known until he
makes contact
with the other character. Throughout the video I want the pace of the
visuals to match evenly with the beat and rhythm of the soundtrack,
including all cuts and speed of the pans and tracking shots. These can
easily be fixed during editing.
At one pint I am sure that I will need to edit two video clips to make
appear as one: as the girl walks past the empty table the singer will
appear sitting there, and singing to her. When shooting I'll make sure
the girl is close enough to the camera so that for a split second each
clip will look identical - which is where I will cut them and line them
together.
I
will also use editing for the moments when I want to put things into
slow motion, either by using an additional software called Twixtor, or by manually copying and adding frames amongst the pre-existing ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment