Thursday, 19 December 2013

Completed Digipak




I wanted to stick with the theme of black and white throughout the whole album for a feeling of consistency. I felt that by doing this the album cover would appear more professional; I also thought it would fit with the genre of the music, and the emotions of the song that I chose for my music video. For the front cover of the album I used a downloaded brush to create the branch effect - a technique that was slightly similar to the process of creating my Record Companies logo in Photoshop. I also downloaded a customised font called 'Requiem' for the title: 'You Me At Six - Sinners Never Sleep'. I chose this one as I felt the splatter effect of the writing seemed smart enough to be professional, yet messy enough to fit in with the rest of the album's theme. I felt that Matthews expression fits with the bitter and sad feeling that is portrayed by the branches that are twisting out of him. Whilst creating this I was reminded of the thorn branches that are linked with most fairy tales villains. Again, I felt this fit perfectly.
For the back cover I listed all the actual songs that are included in You Me At Six's album Sinners Never Sleep, including who are featured in certain song. For this I used the downloaded font 'Requiem' again. This was to make sure that there would continue to be a sense of consistency and professionalism. For the background I used another downloaded brush that created watercolour stains and splatter shapes. I wanted to do this so that it would fit in with the music video and the another image that I planned to use for the inside of the album  one taken from a screen shot of my actual music video. For the back cover I placed a miniaturised image of my Record Company logo (Ruby Records) in the bottom left corner, and a bar-code in the bottom right corner. In small print, below the track list, I copied a disclaimer message front the actual album 'Sinners Never Sleep' the only changes I made was when I changed the name 'Virgin Records' to 'Ruby Records, and when I added a fake website to the bottom of that message.
For the inside of the album I used an image from my music video, as already mentioned. It depicts one of the pots of paint after they had fallen, spilling out onto the floor. I felt that this tied in perfectly with the splatter patterns across the back cover, and on the CD it's self - also helping the whole thing link back to the music video. I used a filter over this image called 'Dark Sketch' after turning it black and white and altering the 'Contrast' and 'Vibrancy' settings. I feel that by doing this it linked in better with the settings of the art classroom from the music video, and the messy feeling of the album.
The background image behind the CD is again a downloaded brush of branches, helping to match with the front cover photo. I thought it would give a good effect if all that could be seen was the silhouetted branches all leading to the CD. As well as creating a feeling of bitter sadness, I hoped that that the branches would link to the flash back scenes of my music video were the characters could be seen in a field surrounded by farm lands and trees.
Finally, for the CD, I wanted to keep it simple, as I had seen for other disc of albums that were the same genre as mine. This was partly the reason that i put the disclaimer message on the back of the album, rather than on the bottom of the CD, as other albums have one. Another reason was that I wanted to use the splatter effect one last time on the CD, though only for a small portion. by doing this and, again, using the same font as the rest of the album, I'm connecting the design of the CD to not just the rest of the Digipak, but the music video as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment